Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why Do We Need To Look At The Humorous Side To Things?

So how do you look for the funny and humorous in (almost) everything.

It really is a mindset; and you really need to train yourself how to do so.

So let me start out by telling you that I could do a week long motivational speech at my expense on finding the misery in everything. Yes, I admit I was not always the fun guy; I was a miserable person at one point in my life - always looking at what was wrong, who wronged me, and why I didn't have what I wanted. Anyone with me?

So I won't bore you with the painful process I went through to change my outlook but I am going to share a couple of tips that should get you to laughing or chuckling just a bit more - especially when dealing with those uptight ones who somehow creep into our lives.
  1. Perspective - Put things in perspective. Look at what people (or you) are really getting all crazed about; and is it really within their/your control? Recently during a break at an all day Success Program I was presenting, I found myself in a discussion with a woman who was so upset that the person sitting in the next cube was not carrying their weight. She was gong on and on and on and on. I was laughing inside. I could only imagine how much time she spends during her day getting all worked up over this. She just couldn't understand that she was not going to change that person. I had ideas for her; she just wasn't ready to hear them.
  2. Irony - Find the irony in the other side of arguments; and how if people focused on the other side a lot more would get done. i.e. My recent blog post about the morons we have in Congress slapping the hands of former AIG execs.

And here's an example of both:

A friend calls me up the other day; frantic and worrying about impending layoffs. He is absolutely sure his group is going. With all the open positions in the company; positions that the company is still trying to fill he just cannot understand why is group is not needed. I said, "John, wouldn't it make more sense for you to place yourself in one of those open positions." He started going on and on about not being qualified. I said, "John, you have been with this company over 20 years; you have company and industry knowledge. If my group was going and I was in your shoes I know what I would be doing." John continued his worry. While I feel for him, he is my friend, I find it funny that he cannot connect the value he possesses.

Yep, that's it. Perspective and Irony - that's how I do it and that's what I share with employee groups when matters like morale, engagement, and organizational change are the topics of our time together. It's really not that hard to see the humor in so many situations. So first start working on the YOUR perspective and the irony of what's got YOU crazed. Then start laughing at all those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment