Saturday, October 18, 2008

Does Every Meeting Need To Have An Agenda?

This morning at 11:30 I will be on a conference call with four other entrepreneurs to discuss how each of us are planning to do business over the next six to nine months. While it seems that doom and gloom appears to be all over the news and is the conversation at coffee shops and bars, we have chosen not to participate in those conversations. Our conversation is about moving forward, ignoring (to some degree) this "worst financial crisis since The Great Depression", and letting everyone else worry. I have organized the call and agreed to facilitate it as well.

I was asked by one of the participants if there was an agenda I could send out before the call. I am not an agenda type person. I am not scripted, timed to the minute, or that detail oriented. He probably has a schedule for bathroom visits.

Agendas are not bad. Detailed plans are not bad. But sometimes open discussion with no preconceived notions, no missions and no suggested outcome provides the creative solutions to challenges and opens up new opportunities. When I present breakout sessions at conferences I always give a handout, some people need one. But in the end it is creative, lively, fun discussion that helps organizations generate new ideas and offers employees the chance to learn how to work better with one another.

So my response to him was..................Does Every Meeting Need To Have An Agenda?

He responded with "I gotcha" because he knows me and knows how I work. And he still wants to be a part of the call.

How about you? Are there people in your organization whose style of work you need to be more accepting of or more trusting of? Could you possibly benefit from experiencing a new approach to doing business?

No comments:

Post a Comment