Wednesday, October 1, 2008

And Speaking of Ways To Reduce Morale & Motivation

Is leadership really that difficult? Do leaders need a smack upside their head in order to figure out the obvious and right thing to do? Motivating staff to continue to perform for you does not have to be as difficult as people think.

Last week I was having a whole lot of fun speaking to a group of CT State Employees. Well at one point their leader's actions came under fire - that leader being Governor M. Jodi Rell. I told them I would send her a letter. And since I always keep my promises............ the letter below was emailed to the Governor of the Great State of CT this morning (the only edit I made was removing the individuals name; that remains between the 100 of us in the room last Friday).

Governor Rell,

So why is it that when a taxpayer takes the time to send you a message about a great experience he/she has with a state employee; and that taxpayer asks you to personally let that person know they made a difference you cannot find 30 seconds in your day to contact that individual, yet you (or your staff) can find the 30 seconds to contact that person’s boss?

Last week I presented an in-service for a diverse group of state employees; the above matter came up. Governor, one of the focuses of my presentation that day was how leaders and staff can find value in each other, share that value, and applaud each person’s value. You are the leader of our state and I know for a fact that one of your employees, (his name was here), would love to hear from you how he made a difference to that taxpayer; and not get a message from you through his supervisor.

Governor Rell, if you take this as a criticism you are missing the point of this message. If that call or email comes directly from your office you will have restored the faith of a group of state employees that are a little wounded right now.

No need to answer this email, I recognize how busy you are; and this email is not about me.

Rich DiGirolamo



Hmmm..............maybe I should start a new fun part of my speaking business; writing letters for people who are pissed off, slighted, or hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment