Friday, October 31, 2008

Taking a Halloween Risk and How I Won a Free Trip to Europe

It was Halloween in the late 1980's; I was working for Ask Mr. Foster Travel Service (Carlson Travel) as a Financial Analyst. There was to be a Halloween Costume Contest - first prize was a pair of tickets to anywhere American Airlines flew in Europe. I was not going to participate, but instead be one of the judges. After all, I was an accountant type person, not a fun travel agent.

At the time we had a Vice President named Pam. She often wore black. She often wore a black cape. People were afraid of Pam; she wasn't the warmest person in the office; not very approachable. When people saw Pam walking across the parking lot they would scream, "It's the Wicked Witch of White Plains."

Hmmm.......................... (yes you know where this is going)

So I went out and bought a witches outfit; broom included. My friend Patty painted my face green. We put an ugly wart on my nose. The outfit was nothing special; compared to some of the elaborate costumes worn by others. The long black hair went down the front and back of my head.

The judging was about to begin. We were lining up in the hallway. And then I had an idea...............

A risky idea, but an idea. I grabbed one of those sticky name tags and wrote the The Wicked Witch of White Plains on it.

But then I had a better idea; tore that name tag up and wrote the following words on it.................


Hello, My Name is Pam!

I placed that name tag just above my heart, but hidden by the hair.

The parade began. I heard great cheers for those elaborate costumes. I entered the room. When I saw that first person I moved the hair ever so slightly so she could read the name tag. The roar was that of a lion. I kept going. The roars were getting louder. Pam was ahead. I hid the name tag. I passed Pam and exposed the name tag again. The roars were even louder. Pam had no clue. For a brief moment morale in the office was increased; there was a bond that was always there but not shared enough.


Belgium and Holland are places you need to go visit. I had a blast; thanks to Pam.


Happy Halloween and the next opportunity you have to take a risk or increase your team spirit or office morale............go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment