Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Conference Planning Committee Chose Not the Fun, but the Un-Motivational Speaker

She was cheering me on. She wanted me to be the Opening General Session for their conference. We had a great conversation on the phone. All looked good. I was excited. The Executive Director was excited.

And then my name got tossed in front of..................... The Committee.

Her case: We can have some fun. We can really motivate our volunteer base to stay involved and get more active; or we can listen to the Boring State Legislator tell them the state of their industry and how funding and donations will be less and less.

Their Case: But the Legislator is free.

Which would you choose as the opening general session for your conference? Fun and Motivational or Free and Doom and Gloom?

Hello!!!! Unless you're living in a bubble I am pretty certain you know the state of the economy; and if you're in a role which is totally supported by funding and donations you probably know even more what you are about to come up against. So let's gather 500 people together for a few days and start off by pounding that into their heads for an hour? There's a great conference waiting to happen.

Am I pissed that I was not chosen? Pissed is the wrong word. Disappointed? Sure. Even the Motivational Speaker gets bummed from time to time. I know, you're shocked. But as I quoted in my New Self-Help Book, I really am sick of all those people who say life is hunky dory all the time. Let's Get Real!

But what I am more bothered with is the fear and uncertainty that is building daily throughout too many organizations. In addition to the financial health of companies, the health and wellness of organization staff and volunteers is also deteriorating as they continue to have salt poured into the economic wound - that being the US Economy.

I've always believed that there is money to be made in any economic downturn - you just have to know where to look. I also believe it happens because most people are so busy focused on how awful things are while the smart people are ignoring the news and having fun growing their businesses or personal wealth. They've started a new bubble.

So with that, I encourage you and your organization to choose not to participate in this economic downturn. If you're going to take the approach that Free has more value than Fee (yes that is why I was not chosen) or spending more time focusing on cutting expenses versus seeking revenue opportunities, we know where your thinking is.

No comments:

Post a Comment