Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I have an "Opportunity" for you sales and marketing types

Years ago my friend wanted to share a great "opportunity" with me. She wouldn't tell me what it was all about, but invited me to a meeting to learn about the "opportunity." I declined; figuring it was Amway. I was wrong. It was NuSkin; same thing.

A couple of years ago my friend Sherry called me to tell me about an "opportunity" she just couldn't let me miss out on. She avoided my direct questions about what network marketing or pyramid scheme it was about. I scolded her; giving her a piece of my mind; telling her don't pull that "opportunity" crap on me. I;m your friend I said to her. Tell me what you're up to; let me be excited for you and let me ask my own questions. Don't sell me.

Today I was offered an "opportunity" to contribute a chapter to a leadership book. The offer came from a stranger. I shot off an email cutting to the chase, knowing that she really didn't want a contribution and asked what this "opportunity" was going to cost. I received a reply avoiding my question. I sent her an email thanking her for the "opportunity."

I would like to offer a real "opportunity" to sales and marketing people - an "opportunity" for you to remove the label sleazy from your name - and it is a free opportunity...............

Be Honest and Up Front about what you're looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Great meting you at CAPS.
    This is the first time I have ever gone on a blog.
    Not sure what to do except say thanks for introducing me to one of your clients. Stay well

    Ron Coleman

    ReplyDelete