Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ten Minutes to Increased Employee Morale

Ocean State Job Lot is one of those fun stores where you just don't know what you'll find (or what you'll catch). They carry overruns and overstocks that manufacturers are trying to unload; at great prices. I pop in every so often to explore the bargains and the people.

On yesterday's visit I came upon the woman who was "in-charge" of the cashiers. Back in my high school days, when I worked at Waldbaum's, they called that person the Front End Manager. For purposes of this blog entry we'll call her that.

The Front End Manager picked up a microphone and made an announcement that two of the employees should "take their ten"; obviously meaning ten minute break. I decided to cause some trouble, uh, I mean have some fun.

"What can anyone possibly do in ten minutes; pee?" I asked the woman.

She chuckled.

My cashier rolled her eyes and went off on a tirade about how ridiculous it was and how right I was and how they get two ten minute breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch on an eight hour shift. Miss Front End Manager joined our conversation. She too thinks this is a silly amount of time, (Heck Waldbaum's even gave us 20 minutes; time to pee and wash your hands.) I was so glad that she didn't see the policy as okay. The three of us kept laughing.

But the kicker was when the elderly woman behind me, I'm thinking she was in her 80's, made this comment..........

"It would take me ten minutes just to walk to the bathroom."


Everyone laughed. I did my job; opened up an opportunity for a bit of levity to be added to an otherwise unhappy worker's day. For a brief moment morale and camaraderie increased. It is that easy. You can and should do it - often.

Laughing at absurd company policies is fun. Rewriting them with a humorous slant is even better; and one of the tips I offer in my 50 Ways To Have Fun At Work Tip Booklet.

No comments:

Post a Comment