Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Challenging the actions of your Leadership can be fun; but have a solution to offer

Last week I received a voice mail with the message "Call me back NOW." The tone appeared irate, agitated and alarming. I laughed. I knew what the call was about.

You see, I had challenged the actions of the President of an organization where I volunteer my time - and he didn't like it. Challenged? Hardly. Questioned? Absolutely. It has taken five months to get a banking issue resolved - an issue that should have been resolved in about one week.

So off I sent an email which I knew was going to be interpreted the wrong way, even though I put the following words in that email:
"I am not angry and do not put tone and inflection in the wrong places when you read this; I am confused, stating fact, and want to know what I can do to help you get this resolved."

So I returned the call; and heard nothing but blame being passed around. He was going on and on blasting one of his volunteers. I held the phone to my hear repeating these words in my head as he talked: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

At the end of the trashing of another board member (his trashing of the other board member), I offered him a two-step process to get this resolved immediately.....................

Step One: Stop wasting time pointing blame
Step Two: Go into the bank and get the necessary documents.

I do find it amazing how so many organizations; those which are volunteer based as well as those who employ people, spend more time passing the blame versus finding the solution and fixing the problem.

Do you know what I mean? Does this message need to be passed along to someone in your organization?

_____________________________________

Beginning November 19, 2008; Take a Weekly Recess with Rich. It's Free!!!

Sign up today

No comments:

Post a Comment