Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Did you ever hear of something called the telephone?

I've got a spam blocker on my email. It requires you enter a verification the first time you send an email to me. I love it. If you're interested in learning which one I use, click here.

Now realizing that nothing is 100% accurate I check the junk mail folder twice per day. On a rare instance something important is there and the person did not get the verification email; or for all I know their spam blocker stopped my verification email from getting through. Did I lose you yet? Remember the fun days when auto responders went on infinitely????

A sampling of those blocked emails include
  • Some King or Prince offering me enough money to bail out the world if I give him my bank account number
  • Motivational offers to make me thinner than a rail by drinking pond scum
  • Humorous offers from other speakers telling me how they have "THE" system to keep me booked year round; which always produces this thought in my head: if they know how to do that, shouldn't they be too busy to sell me that service?
  • How I can get on Oprah

Well the other day I saw an email that said "why are you ignoring my emails" with an email address that looked familiar. It turned out it was from a friend who changed their email address and obviously ignored or did not receive the spam verification. I opened the message and read this email asking me if she had done something wrong and could not believe I was ignoring her.

My response: Did you ever hear of something called the telephone? (yes, the Dr. House side of me came out in the response; I can't always be Julie. Huh? What? If you've been to one of my programs you know what I'm referring to)

No response yet; written or verbal.

Have we forgotten how to use the spoken word to connect with people? Have we forgotten there was a time, not so long ago when there was no email, texting, and twittering. Sometimes I really think we have; and it is some of what we'll be laughing about tomorrow during Weekly Recess.

But in the meantime, pick up the telephone and invite someone to lunch or a cup of coffee today. Let them hear your true voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment