Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Speaking about my horrible experience could be your next free marketing opportunity

A new indoor water park opened not far from where I live. Last night my friends and I decided to pop in and see what it had to offer.

Here is what we observed:
  • bright lights
  • lots of fun colors
  • activities that really are only geared towards those twelve years old and younger
  • overpriced Dippin' Dots (but they are delicious)
  • lots of screaming children - on a Monday evening? Whatever happened to "it's a school night?" (Never mind; they're off today for election day - DUH!)
  • lots of screaming parents; (the place does have a bar though; probably the motivation for all the dads who were there)
  • happy motivated staff
  • and a manager with little sense of imagination???

Little sense of imagination?

We suggested an Adults Only night. He not only told us that they did not offer one; but in the same breath he shared that many people have suggested it too. Okay, so this wasn't an original thought, but apparently there is some interest. We chatted about the idea for a few moments. He concluded that it won't happen.

Too bad I thought. What if a bunch of adults popped in there one evening to have a drink in their bathing suits and got to laugh with their friends in a setting other than a bar, coffee shop, or someones kitchen? What if they did not use many of the water park activities because they were too old, too big, too fat or too self-conscious, but still had fun being in a fun playful environment?

But here is the bigger question...................What if they had such a "horrible" time that they went home and told all their friends who have kids about this place; and how great it is for kids? Word of mouth marketing still rules - I know it does; as a motivational speaker it is often how I get booked to keynote at conferences and conventions. I experienced it just last week. Two bookings came out of one educational training session.

So I'll be watching the economy and the water park .Let's see what happens. I'll bet if business slows down we just might see adult night at the water park. I hope I'm in town that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment