Monday, December 8, 2008

I thought the opening act was better than the headline

Last night I went to see Comedian Brian Regan. His opening act was another comedian - Joe Bolster.

I thought Joe Bolster was funnier.

Well in the 15 hours that have elapsed since last night two people have lashed out at me for saying this. They think Brian Regan is the funniest man on earth. Okay, I'm glad; and he was funny. I just thought the other guy was funnier. And it is not like I said Brian sucked!

It's kinda like when I speak to an audience; some people like me more than the other speakers; some people like me less than the others. sometimes my blend of fun and motivation in a keynote or breakout session is what they're looking for; other times it is not. I'm not offended. People's tastes are different. I think this would be an awful planet if we all liked the same things.

There are times when we are not on our game or have an off day; and this doesn't just apply to people who are speakers, performers or entertainers. The waiter has a bad day. The secretary has a bad day. The football player has a bad day. And if you're the chairman of GM, Chrysler or Ford you're having lots of bad days that could perhaps be leading to less than stellar performances. Or maybe people just like the other product better?

In the end, the only thing that matters is your opinion; and don't let anyone change it.

So............ for my two colleagues who think I should be nailed to a rafter; I really liked Brian Regan; I just liked Joe Bolster better.

No comments:

Post a Comment