Saturday, December 13, 2008

8 year olds at a bar! Now that's what I call breaking rules!

When I went down to the hotel bar last night for dinner, the last thing I expected to see was a bunch of 8 year olds taking up bar stools. But they were.

And the bartender was serving them!

Let me back up.....

There was an ice storm Thursday night. 350,000 people were without power and when they were told that their power "might" be restored by Monday; they headed for the nearest hotel rooms. I suspected something was up when I arrived and the registration line was about 20 people deep.

The hotel was understaffed and in no way ready for this; but everyone was patient. There was lots of laughter and camaraderie; the type of behavior that "refugees" often exhibit when faced with tough times.

I checked in to my room and decided to go down to eat some dinner; and that is when I noticed young children seated at the bar - being served. Food, of course.

Now as far as I know, a minor at a bar is illegal, and I am sure that many a liquor license law was being broken; but the hotel team did not seem to care. They were trying to turn a tough time into something better for people in turmoil (and a recession into an economic opportunity for them). No one seemed cranky, upset or mad. Okay, one person made a derogatory comment about kids taking up seats at the bar. Of course I immediately thought where is the camera when I need it.

Now I am not going to share the hotel or the state I was in, because there is always some idiot that won't see what the hotel did as a good thing, but will slap their hand or slap them with a fine; but it goes back to something I write and talk about with all my audiences. Breaking a rule at times for the right reasons is good - very good. Last night was one of those times.

I decided not to take a seat at the bar; there were young kids looking hungry and cranky. I talked with some folks in the hall, let a few kids turn my propeller and went back to my room. I called for a pizza and watched DVD's of episodes of Batman from the 1960's. It was a good night for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment