Sunday, August 24, 2008

The View from Third Shift

Third Shift. Most avoid it. Many spend years working their way off of it. Yet there is one person who loves third shift.......................................

The other day I met Steve. Steve is a third shift worker. He works with the handicapped. And has he put it to me the other day, he spends his night changing diapers.

Now while some reading this might think his comment is horrible, let me offer some perspective. I have had the opportunity to speak to Fortune 10 Corporations, small businesses of 20 employees, and everything in between. If you ever need some perspective, live a day in the life of a health care or health and human services provider. Now I am in no way denouncing what employees of Fortune 10 companies do, but I would like to see them roll over a handicapped developmentally disabled person at 2:00 AM and change their diaper - yes literally change the diaper. So many people think they've got it tough. I don't know.

But here was my favorite part of the conversation. I asked Steve to come clean and really tell me why he stays on third shift all these years later when opportunities have been plentiful to work a more traditional workday. He said, "Rich, on third shift I don't have to worry about my handicapped co-workers, and making sure I am not part of the trouble they are forever getting themselves and others into."

Yikes! But perhaps true? Maybe third shift has its benefits?

------------------------
Return to home page

Are your employees looking at all that is right with their job or all that is wrong? Give them a dose of Rich. It's time to laugh at workplace craziness, not get crazier. Get in touch with Rich right now

No comments:

Post a Comment