Monday, August 25, 2008

An Easy Way To Be Reminded Of Your Past! But A Good Reason You Should Search It Out.

Okay, this is kinda cool............. Last week I finally offered myself to the world on Facebook. I've had a presence on LinkedIn, but after a short time there I realize it is not social networking; business networking yes, but not social networking; and I still do not know of many people who can trace business back to LinkedIn. Do you?

So I post my Facebook page. I allow Facebook to read my personal database to find people already Facebooked. Not many. Or maybe I know the wrong people? Maybe I'm not connected to the "in" crowd; only the LinkedIn crowd?

But it seems that Vinny was Facebooked and he found me. I received a message from Vinny almost immediately after signing up. Now the question becomes does Vinny spend way too much time on Facebook or was it meant to be????

Vinny and I went to high school together; he was one year ahead of me; sat near each other in calculus. He still looks the same. Sucks when some people don't age. Although maybe he is posting a picture from high school like people do on dating sites; not that I would know. That night Vinny sees Kenny at his photography exhibit; (you can check out Vinny's stuff here: http://vrod62.blogspot.com/.) Kenny was a great friend in high school, an usher in my wedding, my FBLA partner; but we all know how things go; people lose touch over time.

So now Kenny contacts me - the bastard still has his hair; although it is graying. Bald or gray? Which would you rather be? Let me know. Two days later Kenny sees a haunting from my past - Dave; or as we used to call him - Guido. Now Dave and I are back in touch.

In the matter of three days I am back in touch with three people who I actually liked; and will hopefully see in the near future.

But what does this have to do with anything? I think at times we forget not only how the past shaped us, but who in our past shaped us.

So today I blame Vinny, Kenny and Dave for being a part of my refreshing sarcasm, playful attitude, and irreverence. Thanks boys. My audiences thank you too.

And for the rest of you............go get a presence on Facebook. I'll be your friend, but it is very cool to see who in your past might come back to haunt you.

-----------------
Planning a meeting or conference? Include Rich. Visit http://richdigirolamo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment