Wednesday, August 27, 2008

So I Paid Double. That's Not Why I Showed Up.

Had dinner with seven colleagues last night; the purpose was to discuss Public Relations and working/partnering with the media.

It was a typical "networking" evening; some people willing to give information and others hoping to get lots of information while not contributing a whole lot. At points, some people were tuning themselves out; some were tuning others out.

Well I never saw such chaos when the bill came. Should we ask for separate checks? Who should pay for what? Should this one pay more? He didn't drink? She drank like a fish! I drank too much, let me pay for more.

Just split the damn thing 8 ways!

We're professionals; business owners. If I pay more than I should, so what. I was not there for dinner, I was there for the advice, friendship, guidance, sharing and idea generation that this dinner event was offering - which I did receive. Thanks Jerry, Bonnie, Ronnie, Robin, Noreen, Juan and Alice! So I probably paid double my meal value; it was my choice not to drink. (I can't stand wine anyway) I walked away with a great idea, an idea that could be a lot of fun, offer a needed solution to my market and most likely earn me a "few" bucks more than dinner cost. Is that worth an extra $10, $20, $50, $100?

But it reminded me of a dinner event years ago with 9 women - it was a salad bar. When the check came the chatter about who drank what (coffee/soda was not included) was getting insane. I was seated next to a woman named Phyllis. Phyllis was a feisty sixty-something who was a no-nonsense type of woman - I loved her. Phyllis turns to me and she says "this is why I don't go to dinner with a group of women." I just laughed as I have seen men do the same thing, but felt it was my obligation to protect the male species. Phyllis takes $20 from me and $20 from Lori, who was seated on her other side. She tosses $60 down the end of the table and tells the group to have a ball fighting over the bill. The three of us got up and left. Twenty minutes later we were in the parking lot talking and laughing - we think the bill was still being discussed inside, or perhaps their disgust with us.

Why do you gather with people? For friendship? networking? information? camaraderie? ideas? Or to fight over a few bucks?

--------------------------------------------
Friend or Colleague's birthday coming up? The Only Self-Help Book You'll Ever Need might be that fun thought provoking gift they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment