Thursday, August 7, 2008

Detailed instructions on bus riding

I don't often travel by bus, but in the past 3 months I have used the bus several times; it was more convenient than plane travel and not much longer in time. It also gave me a chance to catch up on some pleasure reading.

So pulling out of the Port Authority yesterday the bus driver gave us what I thought at one point was going to be a keynote address. Now basically he told us the following:
  • What time to expect arriving at our locations; and reminded us that he had no control over the weather or traffic
  • Stay off the damn cell phone unless it is an emergency
  • If it is too hot or too cold let him know and we will operate as a democracy and take a vote to determine what to do
  • How to use the lavatory so as not to fall down into the tank
  • He encouraged us to commandeer the seat next to us as the bus was only half-full

Was this really happening?

Here I was on a bus ride, being told what to expect from my ride and how to enhance my experience. On a bus? Who would have thought I would have been given a five minute speech upon taking a seat on a bus?

Maybe some bigger businesses need to take a look at this enhancing the customer experience thing.

All in all it was a pleasurable ride. I ate my lunch and read a book - The Power of Nice.

My only suggestion.............. know your audience and use interpreters. It was apparent that many did not understand the cell phone use rule as I listened to phone calls in everything from Spanish to Jive. Yes, Jive. The last time I heard Jive was in one of those Airplane comedy movies.

------------

Looking to break the monotony at your next conference or meeting. Contact Rich to learn how he can reinforce your message while making it a fun experience for your audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment