Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Best Paperboy in the Whole World

Readers of my newsletter were introduced to a boy named Chris back in July. You will want to take a moment to refresh yourself with his story before continuing. Click here to read Chris' story.

So Sunday morning I pull up to my favorite coffee shop on Cape Cod and there is Chris. He remembers my name, where I was from and says he was hoping he was going to see me.

Seems that the summer was good. He is up to 45 papers per day and was able to buy a laptop with his summer earnings. Seems that offering folks reading with their coffee and telling them what was in the paper paid off handsomely for Chris and The Cape Cod Times.

But here was the best part. I offered to buy him something to drink. He declined; someone inside was buying him something.

A couple comes out of the coffee shop. He buys the newspaper from Chris; she hands him his smoothie.

"Not bad" I said. "They're buying the paper from you and they're buying you drinks."

"He is the best paperboy in the whole world" the woman tells me. "Have you heard his spiel."

I just chuckled and said "Yeah, I'm kinda familiar with it. I was there when he came up with it."

Chris looked at me with a silly red face. It was priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment