Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Motivated by Money, I Used To Shovel Snow For A Living

I used to shovel snow for a living.
Okay, it wasn't a living, but when I was a kid, wanted a few extra bucks, and it snowed, I shoveled. I also learned about negotiation.

I used to sell Kool-Aid for a living
Okay, it wasn't a living, but when I wanted a few extra cents, and it was summer; I stood on a corner prostituting myself for a nickel and learning the value of my time.

I used to rake leaves for a living.
Okay, it wasn't a living, but when I was a kid, wanted a few extra bucks, and it was fall, I raked leaves into piles, jumped in the piles, and then put the leaves in bags. I learned work should be fun.

I used to haul trash for a living.
Okay, it wasn't a living, but when I was a kid, wanted a few extra bucks, and it was summer at the cottages, I hauled people's trash to the community dumpster and then ran home and took a bath.

I used to teach adult ed for a living.
Okay, it wasn't a living, but when I was an adult, wanted a few extra bucks, and it was spring, I taught. I learned that adults really do think they know everything.

I used to do taxes for a living.
Okay, it wasn't a living, but when I was an adult and wanted a few extra bucks and it was the first quarter of a new year, I did taxes. I hated taxes. I hated some of my clients. I decided you should not do work you hate or spend time with miserable people.


Are these tough economic times? Yes they are.
Is there work out there? I believe so.
Is it at the level of experience or pay that you expect? Probably not.
Might you have to do things you don't enjoy? Perhaps.

But I do believe that there are those people who always figure out a way to make it work and others who sit around waiting for things to happen. I hope you're the former, no matter what your work or financial situation is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment