Friday, January 2, 2009

Knowing When It Is Time To Invest in Training



Yes, that would be the stuffing from inside of a chair in my Entertainment Room. It was a "gift" I found when I returned home one afternoon - compliments of my dogs.

I began by yelling at them, asking "who did this?"; as if they were going to answer. My male cowered from my raised voice; my female looked at me with this glare as if she was saying "like you're gonna do something about it; you have no idea which one of us did it."

Then I laughed. I was getting angry at the result rather than looking at the cause; much like organizations do when people do not perform at an expected level.

Signs are usually there that training and development of the staff (or canines) is in need. Blame can be passed; but perhaps some of the blame needs to be put on the supervisor - that being me. Lack of supervision? Not enough guidance? Not enough praise for good actions? Not giving them a well deserved break, by taking them out for a walk or a cup of coffee? Yes, this supervisor needs to take some of the blame and put together a plan of action.

How about you and your organization? Is it time to invest in your talent; to keep them moving forward; before any future damage is done?

We're going back to training this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment