Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy End of Stupid Resolutions Day

Call me cynical; call me crazy; but as I got older I realized that this whole resolution thing is silly, pointless and nothing but a self-esteem lowerer (is that a word?) for so many.
  • I'm gonna make a gazillion dollars this year
  • I'm gonna fix my relationship
  • I'm gonna lose a trillion pounds
  • I'll be the envy of the beach this summer
  • This is the year I will clean up my finances
  • I am going to have more life balance; spend more time doing things I like and having fun with my family and friends
  • We're going to turn the company around this year

I'll stop; you get my point.

Yep January 1st is the day to totally fix your life. Not April 22nd; nor June 18th. Not July 9th; nor September 20th. January first is the day that everyone on the planet is going to begin the task of doing amazing things.

Here's the issue; most of the steps you're about to take to fulfill your wildest dreams are no different than they were last year, the year before that and the year before that - hence the need to make to make that resolution again. And even worse, is that when you tossed in the towel last year, you did just that; tossed in the towel. Why didn't you try a different approach on April 22nd, June 18th, July 9th or September 20th? Why didn't you?

Stop and ask yourself a question right now. Are you or your company about to make the same mistakes you make every year - taking no risk, trying nothing new, taking the same approach to your business; thinking January 1st is a clean slate to start over. Stop yourself and do something now - not on January 1 2010.

Remember this.........a new year begins every day. Every day you have 365 days ahead of you to make a difference. This year make January 1st only as important as the remaining 364.

Happy End of Stupid Resolutions Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment