Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Message For Governor Rell: Yeah, yeah, yeah, families are making do with less, blah, blah, blah.

Families Are Making Do With Less; So Can We.

That was a point that Governor Rell (CT) kept repeating during her doom and gloom budget conference yesterday. She was setting the tone for what was about to come.................
layoffs, agency closures, agency consolidations and decreased services. I'm sure this is happening in most states.

Hey Governor, I'm willing to make do with less; but I think it is about time that you make it easier for me to do so.

I just finished writing an $18 check for a boat trailer. Three weeks ago I wrote an $18 check for a jet ski trailer. Hey governor............why can't all registrations be renewed online?! Why couldn't you send these both to me at the same time? Why do I have to write a check, stick a stamp on it and walk to my mailbox - Twice! Why can't I print out my registration online? And what about my license? What happens when I arrive at the DMV to renew it and find out the hours are shortened or you have closed the office. Yeah, yeah, yeah, families are making do with less, blah, blah, blah.

Yo Governor, I'm willing to make do with less; but I think it is about time that you make it easier for me to do so.

Government talks about having less bureaucracy; I think that government needs to learn how to get out of their own way. Do you need to lay off 400 people? Maybe? Maybe not? Are there lazy people in government who take advantage of their jobs? Absolutely. Are there lazy people in the private sector doing the same thing? You bet. But is it possible that you have perpetuated things by placing people in the wrong positions, not screening candidates properly, and turning your head on "out on administrative leave" issues? And now, after you have fostered (not you personally) this type of behavior for decades you plan to fix it with fewer services and people?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, families are making do with less, blah, blah, blah.

You forget one thing Governor; families are already doing with less; now you're going to be asking them to do with even less. Your speech seemed to address your political team, not the great people of CT! Forget Double Taxation. This is Double Screwation.

So using the DMV as just one example, how about implementing some things that make sense? Now take the resources you just saved and deploy them into positions that make more sense, training that allows people to use their talents, and products and services that support everyone. If private industry has learned how to tap into people's talents, so can government. Need help figuring it out? I'll show you for free!

You see Governor, I really am willing to make do with less; but I think it is about time that you make it easier for me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment