Monday, July 28, 2008

Getting Involved Has Its Rewards

Last night I got to sing the male part of that famous ending to the song by Meatloaf, Paradise By the Dashboard Light.

Yep, while all 8 bridesmaids and the bride sang the part "Will you love me forever" I got to sing the "Let me sleep on it" part. I was the lucky one. You see, when the DJ started asking for all the guys to line up, most of them ran off the floor; he grabbed my hand and brought me over to meet the girls.

It was a wedding, you're supposed to have fun. The bride and groom were having this videotaped. How sad would that have been if no one "played."

Throughout my life I have volunteered; whether it be a committee at work, or a leadership role on a board, or acting silly at a wedding, I always knew that getting involved had its rewards. I met people, got recognized by management as a team player, and have been given referrals and leads in my business. I believe it is important for everyone to get involved.

A few months ago I was hired to work with an Employee Activities Committee to help them generate some new ideas. I still remember the lone male's response as to why he joined the committee - to meet the people he worked with. So now you're not Mary the Nurse Manager, you're Mary the.....................

So there I was singing Let me sleep on it............................

Well the 20-somethings nearly fell over when I let it rip at this part:

I couldn't take it any longer Lord I was crazed
And when the feeling came upon me
Like a tidal wave
I started swearing to my God and on my mothers Grave
That I would love you to the end of time
I swore that I would love you to the end of time!

So now I'm praying for the end of time
To hurry up and arrive
Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
I don't think that I can really survive Ill never break my promise or forget
my vow
But God only knows what I can do right now\
I'm praying for the end of time It's all that I can do
Praying for the end of time, so I can end my time With you!!!


Remember, I'm old according to them. They didn't know I grew up with that song. Now I'm not Rich the old man, I'm Rich the................. (cool dude???) Who knows, maybe they'll look at me differently next time they see me.

A little bit later the DJ came over, said thank you and stuffed something in my shirt pocket. It was two lottery tickets.

Hopefully I added to the memories of the bride and groom's day. Because in the end...........and always forget this................get involved to have fun and benefit others............Your reward will come later. I promise.

My reward for getting involved. I won $1

No comments:

Post a Comment