Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Be Willing to Learn. It Earns You Respect.

When I attend a conference as a presenter I always attend sessions of other speakers. Sometimes I attend to get information. Sometimes I attend to get tips on how to be better at my craft. Other times I just attend to have fun. (Okay, most of the time I attend to have fun.) Heck, I even attend to "steal" material and get some motivation for myself. I am a learner.

Monday evening a woman came up to me shared the following thought:

I was sitting with you this morning at the General Session. I was impressed that you were our opening keynote speaker last night and you were there in attendance his morning. You even took notes.


I shared with her that I really liked what he had to say; a lot of what he did complemented my work and I am eager to find out how he and I might be able to help one another. I also told her some words I live by; which are "the day I cannot learn something new is a sad day."

We can all learn; from strangers as well as our peers.
  • If you're an accountant other accountants can teach you something.
  • If you're a secretary other secretaries can teach you something.
  • If you're a doctor other doctors can teach you something.
  • If you're a Recreation Professional other Recreation Professionals can teach you something.
  • If you're a teacher other teachers can teach you something. Heck even the students can teach you things.
Do I need to go on?

Being willing to learn earns you the respect that you don't often think about. Being willing to learn separates you from others in your industry - the ones who may think they know it all. They don't. Neither do you. Neither do I.


So shut up, listen, and learn something today.

1 comment:

  1. Learning from people who have experiences far greater than you is truly an honor because they have lots of wisdom to share and in the end it gains you their respect...


    Motivational Speakers Sydney

    ReplyDelete